Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Nick Manning's upcoming recital maybe his last in Logan



Nick Manning, a guitar performance major at Utah State University, will be having his senior recital 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Why Sound in Logan. This will be his final performance before graduating from Utah State.
After graduating, Manning plans on getting his master's degree, but isn't sure where that will be yet.
"Unfortunately here in Logan, a lot of people come here for school and get good at their music, then they leave right when they're getting good," said Mike Benson, an accompanying saxophonist for the recital. "So these recitals are your chance to hear them at their best while they're still here. This might be Nick's last show in Logan."
Manning's performance will be a showcase of all he's learned from his guitar studies at Utah State.
"When I first started at Utah State, I thought I was a good guitar player," he said. "I feel like the more I learn and the further I get, the more I realize that I don't know anything."
The first part of the recital will be Manning performing solo classical guitar music. He'll be playing jazz music for the second part of the show with accompaniment from other Utah State performance majors.
"You won't be hearing lame jazz," Manning said. "I'm trying to push myself to the limit for this show and I hope it turns out well."
"It's really high quality music compared to what you might expect," Benson said. "You'll get the best from both worlds of guitar music."
Along with Benson, the other accompanying musicians will be Jaron Putnam, Thomas Pratt and Nick Miner. All musicians have performed with each other throughout their time at Utah State.
"Music is important to me, it's right up there behind religion and family," Manning said.
Manning attributed much of the guitar skills he's learned over the years to Corey Christiansen, the director of Utah State's guitar program.
Admission to the recital is free of charge.


No comments:

Post a Comment