Monday, November 25, 2013

Sarah Olsen talks about new album



Logan singer-songwriter Sarah Olsen recently finished working on her new album and ordered CD copies of it on Thursday. The album, Steal Away, is scheduled to be released in January.
The album was recorded at Why Sound Studio in Logan with mixing and engineering done by Tim Moes.
"I'm really proud of this album," Olsen said. "I put a lot of my soul into it; writing the songs, especially."
"When I recorded, I got to see and hear and feel her music," Moes said. "My appreciation for it only grew more."
Olsen wrote the music and lyrics for all 13 songs on the album. She said she tries to be a lyrically confessional songwriter.
"Sadly, a lot of the songs are about break ups," Olsen said. "That's what I was doing at the time and I felt like I needed that time to cope. Writing songs and performing them is really helpful to me."
Olsen recorded her first album in 2010 and said she loved working on it, but came into the Steal Away production with more direction. "On this one, I feel like I knew what to do and I was really able to articulate what I wanted."
Some of Olsen's musical influences are William Fitzsimmons, Jason Mraz and Sting. The album mostly sounds like acoustic-based folk music.
"I try to write music that isn't entertainment," she said. "I want it to be something explorative that the listener can examine. I hope it sounds therapeutic."
Olsen did the lead vocals and played guitar for Steal Away. She recorded with six different guest musicians for the album. All artists who worked on the album are currently attending Utah State University.
Moes said the production took about three months to complete with scattered recording sessions. "I think it came out really good," Moes said. "She's an awesome singer and great songwriter."
Olsen's next scheduled show is on Dec. 3 at the Chase Fine Arts Center's Black Box Theatre at Utah State. It will be her showcase performance before graduating from her music therapy major.

No comments:

Post a Comment